Altera Penang is Altera’s largest site out of the US. It houses 1000 employees and has various functions such as R&D, Engineering, Technical Services, Supply Chain, Finance, and IT. We are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our team!
We regularly hire for the following areas:
• Logic Design/IP design
• Circuit design
• Pre-silicon validation
• Physical design
• Embedded Software
• Signal Integrity/Power Delivery
Some specific positions at Altera Penang are:
1. Staff/Principal Design Engineer (Protocol IP)
Altera provides Intellectual Property designs optimized for its FPGA devices, all of which are developed for highest performance, lowest cost, ease of use and fastest time-to-market.
Protocol IPs (including Ethernet, RapidIO, CPRI and OBSAI) enable chip-to-chip, board-to-board, or box-to-box connectivity in system designs. They satisfy the needs of a broad spectrum of applications and leverage the integrated transceivers in our FPGA and ASIC devices. You will be part of an engineering team that focuses on developing state-of-the-art Protocol IPs. You will be working on advanced device architectures, design definition, implementation and verification. You will also be developing design examples, simulation models, accompanied by a rich set of technical documentation.
• High-speed serial interface IP with transceivers (e.g. Ethernet, 1588, CPRI, RapidIO, SDI)
• Architecture and Design ( Based on latest specifications, RTL design)
• Verification (e.g. verification IP/methodologies/framework, bus functional models, regression tests)
• New product release or rollout support
• Customer technical support
• Device support and features
• Bachelors or post-graduate degree in EE, CE or CS, or equivalent, with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
• Familiarity or experience in RTL design with Verilog and/or VHDL is required.
• Familiarity or experience with RTL verification and timing analysis/closure on Linux/UNIX platforms is a strong plus.
• Knowledge of any high speed serial system interfaces (such as USB, SATA, Ethernet, IEEE 1588, CPRI or Serial Rapid IO) is a strong plus.
• Familiarity with Perl, C++, Java and shell scripts is a plus.
• Strong skills in communication, initiative, promote innovation and teamwork.
• Highly motivated to learn and adapt to fast-changing technologies and environments.
• Demonstrates fundamental values such as accountability, integrity and a winning mindset
2. GUI Architect
As a member of the Altera User Interface (UI) Group, you will be a key technical lead responsible for designing, developing and enhancing Quartus II software tools. You will work closely with engineers across geographies. The position is ideal for a strong software developer who enjoys researching and applying a diverse collection of software development techniques, e.g. generic programming, test-driven development, Agile development, and unit testing. The ideal candidate should also enjoy working closely with code and colleagues alike. This position provides an excellent opportunity to gain experience developing large-scale commercial software as well as simplifying and automating processes to improve cross departmental workflows and productivity in a fun and supportive environment.
• As a Staff Software Engineer, you will work with a team of engineers across geographies to develop Altera’s best in class Quartus II software.
• Responsible for designing, developing and maintaining high quality of software tools and infrastructure for Quartus II software
• Innovate and develop new UI features
• Come out with innovative idea to improve productivity and software quality.
• Propagate design best practices (eg. driving data driven concepts throughout the software flow).
• Master degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Information Technology with a minimum of 8 years experience in relevant field.
• Smart, motivated and good in C/C++ programming language.
• Experience with Qt language is an added advantage.
• Possess creative mind and enjoy working in software development.
• Knowledge of digital design is a plus, but not essential.
• Experience working on Linux and Windows platform environments.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative, and often intense project environment.
• Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a team-player.
3. Device Engineer (Process Technology)
As a Process Technology engineer, you will need to interface with the wafer fabrication foundry to address wafer related issues, improve defect density, and ensure that wafer yield meets the target. You are also required to work on the following roles:
• Perform analysis on the wafer electrical test parameters and in line data to identify potential issues due to silicon processing
• Perform test structure measurement and characterization
• Monitor sort yield trend, wafer map and parameter correlation analysis to provide timely feedback to foundry on yield excursion issue
• Appraise & review fabrication process changes to ensure consistency and compliance to design rule
• Drive Foundry on fabrication process improvement to meet the yield, defect density and process control Cpk target
• Work with Foundry on device electrical characteristics tuning to meet the product performance/yield window
• Coordinate failure analysis effort and setting of priority to maximize the return on engineering resources for root cause identification
• Review design for manufacturability rules, mask data and logic operation to ensure successful new product tapeout in foundry
• Master’s or PhD in Microelectronics, Physics, Electronics Engineering, or Material Science
• In-depth knowledge and technical understanding of silicon processing, device physics and statistical analysis
• Knowledge of VLSI circuit design and layout, design rules and testing methodology
4. Device Engineer (Modeling)
As Device Modeling engineer, you will support device model development and validation. You will need to work on the following roles:
• Develop and implement methodologies for verification of quality and accuracy of models which includes creation of verification plans and rules sets for model QA
• Design and layout test structure to verify process capability and model accuracy
• Develop test program and algorithm to perform test structure characterization and silicon validation
• Analyze data, provide summary of test result, conclusion and recommendation in the technical report
• Support advanced interconnect model verification and layout parasitic extraction
• Support model and methodology development to address advance modeling issue of statistical variation and reliability concern
• Master’s or PhD in Microelectronics or Electronics Engineering
• Knowledge and technical understanding of semiconductor device physics, silicon processing and VLSI circuits
• Knowledge and exposure in the operation of basic semiconductor measurement equipment such as parametric analyzer and LCR meter
• Knowledge and exposure in the software tools for device/circuit simulation, layout editing, parasitic extraction and design verification
• Familiar with data analysis using Excel and Statistical Analysis software
• Strong analytical, communication skill, ability to work independently and drive for result
5. Applications Engineer
As an Advanced/Senior System IP Applications Engineer, you will be responsible for the following:
• Resolving customer issues on communications and interface IP cores, such as PCI, Ethernet and Serial Digital Interface.
• Developing collateral, such as design examples, reference designs and application notes to deflect customer issues for IP cores
• Developing training modules as needed for Field Application Engineers (FAEs) and Regional Support Center Application Engineers (RSC AEs) for IP cores
• Validating release candidates for IP cores as per Quartus II release
• Serving as a technical leader to mentor and develop other engineers in the team
• BSEE/MSEE or equivalent with a minimum of 2 years relevant experience in digital design
• Proficient and experience in VHDL/Verilog, simulation and hardware debug would be preferable
• FPGA design experience would be a big plus
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English